News

SEA-TITAN project related news


The wind gains by the hair to the nuclear one as the first source of electricity in April while the coal already produces less than the solar energy

This April the first source of electricity in the Spanish system has been wind energy. And it has won the nuclear by the hair.

07/05/2019

periodicodelaenergia.com

 

The production of wind origin in the month of April reached 4,666 GWh, 5.7% higher than the same period last year, and represented 24.8% of total generation.

Nuclear, with 24.7% of total production, was the second generation source with more weight, after wind, followed by combined cycles (14.6%), cogeneration (13.3%) and Hydraulic (9.9%). On the other hand, coal barely contributed 3.9%.

The high price of CO2 is displacing coal in the mix and leads to terms almost never seen with a production so low that even solar energy exceeds it.

According to the data of Red Eléctrica, the photovoltaic produced 3.4% while the solar thermal 2%, in total they reached 5.4% of the total generation of the month of April.

Thus, 41.9% of generation in April came from renewable energy sources and 67.3% of electricity production did not emit CO2.

In the first four months of 2019, nuclear power, with 24.2% of generation, leads production, followed by wind (23.4%), combined cycles (12.9%), cogeneration (12 , 6%), hydraulics (10.5%) and coal (8.4%).

The demand falls

The demand for electricity in the Iberian Peninsula reached 19,529 gigawatt hours (GWh) in April, which represents a fall of 2% compared to the same month last year, according to Red Eléctrica de España (REE).

If the effects of the calendar and temperatures are taken into account, the peninsular demand for electrical energy fell by 1.6% compared to April 2018, added the network manager.

In the first four months of the year, the peninsular demand for electricity is estimated at 83,572 GWh, 2.7% less than in the same period last year.

Once the influence of the calendar and temperatures was corrected, the demand for electric power was 2.1% lower than that registered in the first four months of 2018.

Add Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Get in touch

Let us know you opinion.
We appreciate your feedback!